Phở is a Vietnamese noodle soup consisting of rice noodles, fresh herbs, and sliced beef or chicken. But the real star of the dish is the broth! Learn how to make your own Phở at home with our Jovian Pantry® Phở Spice Sachet.
Quick and Easy Phở
Make your own Phở at home with our Jovian Pantry® Phở Spice Sachet.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 medium onion peeled and charred
- 1 small onion peeled and sliced
- 1 small hand of ginger charred
- 4 quarts chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- 1 quart water
- 1 Jovian Pantry® Phở Spice Sachet
- 2 lbs flank steak* or chicken breast
- Salt or fish sauce to taste
- 1 package Phở rice noodles
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch Thai basil
- 1 package bean sprouts
- 1 lime quartered
- Scallions chopped
- Char the peeled medium onion and ginger on the stovetop. Both gas and electric ranges can be used for this step.
- Place the charred onion and ginger into a large pot and pour in the broth and water. Add your Jovian Pantry® Phở Spice Sachet, bring the pot to a boil then add your protein*. Simmer until the protein is cooked through. Unflavored seitan is a great meat alternative for a vegetarian Phở. If you like an even more aromatic broth, simmer the broth and sachet for an hour before adding your protein.
- While the broth is simmering, in a separate pot boil your Phở rice noodles according to the directions on the package. When they are done, strain and run under cold water to stop them from over-cooking.
- Once the protein is cooked through, remove it from the broth and skim the surface for detritus. Add salt or fish sauce to taste to the broth and continue to simmer.
- Slice the protein to your desired thickness and reserve it for later.
- When ready to serve, in a bowl place a serving of cooked Phở noodles and layer your protein on top. Garnish with your sliced onions, cilantro, Thai basil, bean sprouts, and scallions. Carefully add the hot broth into the bowl to cover the ingredients. A squeeze of fresh lime juice gives a touch of acidity to brighten the broth, enhancing the flavor.
- Enjoy! Any leftover broth can be frozen so you can enjoy Phở whenever you like.
*If you are using flank steak you can, as an alternative, add it raw and sliced very thinly to the plated noodles. Add the boiling hot broth over top for a tender beef. Place the steak in the freezer for 2 hours and it will be easier to slice. Please be aware that consuming raw or undercooked meats may increase your risk of foodborne illness.